The legacy

Buddhist Ladies’ College (BLC) one of the premier Government approved private schools in Colombo. Is in its 66th year of operation focusing on the educational needs of the new generation. BLC was founded by an illustrious son of Sri Lanka, the late Mohandas De Mel, an educationist and lawyer by profession, who strived to maintain the family tradition of inculcating the Buddhist philosophy through education.

His father the late proctor Harry De Mel who was called “The Lion of the Bar” at the Law Courts in Avissawella founded the first Buddhist Swabasha school in his hometown in 1898 and also launched the first Buddhist English school in 1940 Mohandas De Mel founded Sitavaka Vidyalaya at Avissawella for higher education, a mixed school which was later handed over to the government.

GALLERY

VISION

Nurture & develop children who will be encouraged and empowered to become constructive members of a society that contributes productively to the economy, promotes peace, and enhance individual well-being. We will do so by providing early and secondary education services that will focus on their social, emotional, mental, physical and cognitive development using contemporary tools and methodologies that are appropriate and resonate culturally.

MISSION

To guide the daughters of BLC to be examples of well-disciplined characters, able to face with determination, the challenges of the future society by achieving the National Goals of education according to the new concepts.

Chairman / Manager

Mr. Mohanlal De Mel, the Chairman / Manager of Buddhist Ladies’ College Colombo, comes from the illustrious De Mel family. Born as the eldest son of late Mr. Mohandas De Mel, Attorney at Law and founder of this educational institute and Mrs. Bernice De Mel, Mr. Mohanlal began his close association with the school early on in young life. Following his parent’s footsteps he developed a close connection and competence in all activities related to both educational and administrative functions of the school.

FOUNDER - MANAGER OF B.L.C

Buddhist Ladies’ College owes its origin to the initiative and enterprise of Mr. Mohandas De Mel, who for many years had taken a keen interest in Buddhist education. In fact he was carrying on a family tradition. His father, the late proctor Harry de Mel of Avissawella, founded the first Buddhist Swabasha School at Avissawella as early as in 1898, and few years later, the first Buddhist English School. In 1940 Mr. Mohandas de Mel founded Sitavaka Vidyalaya at Avissawella, the first Buddhist School there for

THE LATE MRS. BERNICE DE MEL

Mrs. Bernice de Mel, wife of the Mr. Mohandas de Mel, was the daughter of the Late Mr. & Mrs. L. John Fernando of Panadura. She was born on 12th March 1910, and received a sound education at, a then leading girls’ school, St. Bridget’s Convent, Colombo 07.It has been said that behind the life of every successful man is a dedicated, supportive and dutiful wife, so it was with Mrs. Bernice de Mel. She encouraged all Mr. de Mel’s efforts to build up Buddhist Ladies’ College and gave unstintingly of her time

Principal - Ajantha Madam

Deputy Principal - Apsara Madam

News

Address: 229, Dharmapala Mw, Colombo 07

Phone : 011-2695347

Mail: info@buddhistladiescollege.lk